The Law Enforcement Central Bureaus serve the functions of Support Services and Central Investigations. The Bureau’s are under the Leadership of Chief Brian Lee, Commander William Werle and Commander Russell Martin.
The Support Services Bureau provides a variety of services to include the following:
- The Communications and E-911 Units are the first point of contact for citizens and visitors in time of critical need. The Public Safety Telecommunicators are the link between an emergency call for service and the deputies responding to the call for service.
- The Government Services Unit provides security, safety and Bailiff services for the St. Johns County Courthouse and the St. Johns County Administrative Complex.
- The Special Teams of the Sheriff’s Office provide technical and tactical support. A variety of teams are comprised of deputies and civilians that are highly specialized in their particular field of discipline: SWAT, Crisis Negotiations Team, Bomb Team, Air Unit, Field Force Operations, Clandestine Lab Team, Critical Incident Management Team, and K-9 teams.
The Central Investigations Bureau specializes in providing specialized investigative services in support of the law enforcement function.
- The Intelligence Unit manages and provides a rapidly changing dynamic in law enforcement. The Sheriff’s Office relies on both human intelligence and technology to provide not only support to investigations but real time crime information to responding officers. In addition, the Unit provides oversight for the monitoring of sexual offenders/predators and is a resource point for State and Federal Investigative agencies.
- The Major Crimes Unit investigates primarily violent crimes to include death investigations and robberies.
- The Special Victims Unit investigates crimes of violence, physical abuse, sexual abuse and neglect against some of our most vulnerable population of children and the elderly.
- The Special Investigations Unit is responsible for the investigation of vice crimes to include: narcotics, prostitution and highly sensitive criminal cases. In addition, the Unit is comprised of special investigators that investigate predators that utilize the internet to lure children.
Together, they assist Patrol and every other part of the agency to make sure we are a solid crime fighting team.
To learn more about each section, click on the links below.