St. Johns County

Frequently Asked Questions

Here, you will find many of the questions we are asked most frequently, and the answers to them. If you can’t find the answer to your question here, feel free to email the webmaster.

When we have a court order directing us to do so. Learn more about Evictions on our Court Services page.

To file for an eviction, you must go to small claims court. It costs $435 to file for an eviction. You can find out more information about Evictions on our Court Services page here.

You can find out if you are wanted by clicking here and searching for your name.

For a list of all of our Civil Fees, along with what we have to offer, click here.

Escorts must have current court order instructing the St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office to escort subject to retrieve specific items, or for the purpose of specific tasks. Escorts for injunctions or no contact orders or any other escorts are set by appointment at the deputy’s convenience. Click here for more information.

48 hours. There is a 6-hour red tag limit on limited access highways such as I-95. (F.S. 316.1945)

No. A law enforcement officer must witness the infraction.

There is a county noise ordinance and there are certain criteria that must be met for a citation to be issued. COUNTY ORDINANCE LINK 

Call the non-emergency number (904-824-8304) and ask for a deputy referencing the noise ordinance. 

A trespass warning letter can be obtained from the main office or any of our field offices. You can also call us or email a deputy and request one. Our non-emergency phone number is 904-824-8304

A trespass warning restricts a person from coming on to a property, where a restraining order is for protection of a person. A trespass warning can be issued by any of our deputies, but a restraining order will be issued by a judge. 

There is an SJSO policy that says the trespass warning expires after 2 years or until the property owner/agent contacts SJSO to remove the warning.

Instead of bringing them to our office, call our non-emergency line and requested a deputy to come by and pick the firearm and ammo up. That number is 824-8304

The Sheriff’s Office must establish probable cause before an arrest can be made. If you have information that would help deputies, please contact the Sheriff’s Office and have your case number available. That number is 904-824-8304.

Our Records Section can assist you in obtaining a copy of your traffic crash report if it was handled by the SJSO. You can contact them via email at 

You can also find more information about requesting a record here.

Per County Ordinance, you must have your dog on a leash at all times.

There is a Florida Statute that addresses this and it protects their right to shoot on the property. You can read the Statute here: (F.S. 790.333)

No, it is not legal. Per Florida Statute 83.67: A landlord of any dwelling unit governed by this part shall not cause, directly or indirectly, the termination or interruption of any utility service furnished the tenant.

Should this occur, contact SJSO via the non-emergency number and request a deputy to come out. That number is 904-824-8304. 

If the vehicle is on your property, you have the right to have that vehicle removed. Call a tow company of your choice and have it removed.

We have multiple locations that you can get finger printed. Check here for more information.

You can get a copy of a report by contacting our Records Section. All of the details can be found here.

Contact the Sheriff’s Office by calling 904-824-8304 and ask for the District Office where you reside or for the Traffic Unit.

We have multiple locations where you can drop off your unused or expired medication. Learn more here.

Call the Sheriff’s Office or Animal Control so we can respond.

You can report it to us by calling our non-emergency line at 904-824-8304 or messaging us on social media and giving us details there. We will research the information.

You can also notify

Most parking lots have signage designating authorized activity.

No. Deputies do not have the ability to unlock your car for you. You will need to contact a locksmith or roadside assistance. However, a deputy is able to wait with you if you are in fear for your safety while waiting for a company to respond.

If a child is locked in the vehicle, call 911 immediately.

No. Quotas are not permitted in the State of Florida. In fact, the money that you pay for a speeding ticket doesn’t even come to the Sheriff’s Office. It goes to the State of Florida and then is divided up to things like road improvement programs and education.

Our rule is not to scare anyone, but we often talk to children about good citizenship and offer guidance as appropriate.

No. We do not offer tours of our jail. It is a secured facility.

It is unlawful for any person: To operate a motor vehicle or an autocycle in this state unless each passenger and the operator of the vehicle or autocycle under the age of 18 years are restrained by a safety belt or by a child restraint device.  (Florida Statute: 316.2015, Florida Statute 316.614)

So, if you’re under 18, you cannot be unrestrained in a vehicle, therefore you cannot ride in the bed of a pickup truck.

If you are pulled over by law enforcement, keep both of your hands on the steering wheel where they are clearly seen. When the deputy comes to your window, let him/her know that you have a concealed weapon in the car and where it is at. This is not uncommon for us and the interaction shouldn’t be an issue.

According to Google Maps, it will take you 2 hours and 5 minutes to get to Disney World if you drive south on I-95 and then take I-4. If traffic is heavy, it will most likely be longer. This is, of course, assuming you do the speed limit.

Any firework that leaves the ground and/or explodes is considered illegal in the state of Florida, save for three designated holidays that were designated approved by the Florida Senate in 2020. Those holidays are the 4th of July, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day.

10:00pm until 7:00am on Sunday through Thursday, 11:00pm unit 7:00am on Friday and Saturday. Construction cannot start until 7am.

Florida Wildlife Commission (407-275-4150)

Our Evidence Unit. Just call our main number and ask for Evidence. 904-824-8304

151 Sawgrass Corners Drive, next to Sun Trust Bank.

Unfortunately, no. Instead, Contact the St. Johns County Tax Collectors office at 904-209-2250.   Click here for more information.

Call the non-emergency number (904-824-8304) and have a deputy come to your residence. The vehicle must be present in order to have a VIN verification completed.

Call us at 904-824-8304 and find out if we are accepting donations before bringing them to us. If we are, we will give you directions from there.

You can learn more about our Civilian Law Enforcement Academy by looking at this page on our website.

Except for unusual and unforeseen emergencies, all parks are open to the public every day of the year during hours designated by the Director. These hours are posted at each park. Any park that does not have hours posted are open sunrise to sunset.

According to Beach Services, alcohol is prohibited on the beach and pier.