Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Work Place/Veterans Preference.
Join Our Team
Candidates, who feel called to serve the citizens and visitors of St. Johns County, and want to pursue a career in law enforcement should be ethical, motivated and believe in the mission statement of the St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office: Taking Care of People.
The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office is a Drug Free Workplace, Veterans Preference and an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment actions are taken without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, religion or any other legally protected status.
Basic requirements for Appointment or Commission:
- Be a US Citizen
- Be of Good Moral Character as defined by Florida Administrative Code: https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ruleNo.asp?id=11B-27.0011
- Possess a valid Florida Driver License
- High School Graduate or have a GED equivalency diploma
- Residency Requirements: Employees who are assigned an agency vehicle may live no more than ten (10) miles from the St. Johns County line. It is not an option to decline a take home car in lieu of the ten (10) mile restriction.
- Military Discharge [DD-214] (if applicable) – Must have an honorable, uncharacterized or general with honorable conditions military discharge.
- Applicants claiming Veterans’ Preference are responsible for providing required documentation at the time of making an application for a vacant position, or prior to the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
- For documentation requirements, please visit https://www.flrules.org/Gateway/reference.asp?No=Ref-06983
- An applicant who believes he or she was not afforded employment/retention preference may file a complaint with FDVA. (FS 295.07, 295.11) For details, call (727) 319-7462. For more information, visit http://floridavets.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Veterans-Preference-Frequently-Asked-Questions.pdf
Please read the online application questions carefully –
Your Application will not be accepted or processed unless all required fields are filled in completely.
Originals of the below-listed documents must be provided at the time of your interview:
Required Documents for ALL positions:
- High School or College Diploma or GED*
- DD-214 (if applicable)
- Valid Florida Driver License
- Social Security Card
- Certified Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate and/or all name change documentation
- Naturalization Certificate,(if applicable)
Additional Required Documents for Certified Positions (Corrections and Law Enforcement):
- Florida Basic Recruit Certificate
- Florida State Exam results
You must be state certified or currently enrolled in an academy class to submit a Law Enforcement Deputy or Corrections Deputy application. For more information about becoming Florida certified, please contact Florida Department of Law Enforcement at https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/getdoc/16b5a8f6-412c-4c72-817e-d26cb05b2e3d/how-to-become-an-officer.aspx
IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO REMEMBER WHEN FILLING OUT YOUR APPLICATION:
- BE TRUTHFUL– ANY false or undisclosed information provided by an applicant may result in automatic disqualification.
- List complete mailing addresses for residences and employers to include zip codes. (The background investigator will not attempt to determine street numbers, correct street spellings, apartment numbers, telephone numbers, email addresses or zip codes)
- Valid email addresses for all personal references must be provided.
- List chronologically all previous employers for whom you have worked in the last 10 years including summer and part-time work. All time must be accounted for including periods of unemployment or volunteer time.
- The residence portion of the application must be completed for every address that you have lived during the past 10 years.
- SJSO will not accept applications for full-time employment submitted by relatives of full-time employees
- Part-time employment applications will be accepted from relatives of full-time employees.
- The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office is only accepting online applications for employment. If you do not have a computer or one accessible to you, your local library is a great resource for internet and computer usage.
- Applicants will be notified by email of their progress through the application process. Please check your email frequently, and add our name to your safe senders list to avoid being considered junk mail.
- Applicants who do not have a college education (AA/AS degree or higher), or have not passed the Basic Abilities Test (B.A.T) will be required to take a Test of Adult Basic Education (T.A.B.E.)
- The selection process with the St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office is very detailed and lengthy and is subject to position availability. Hire dates for the following positions are scheduled three times per year to accommodate our formal training programs: Law Enforcement Deputy, Corrections Deputy and Telecommunications Operator. As such, the selection process is approximately four months in length.
- Applicants not employed and whose file has been place in inactive status may re-apply two (2) years from the date the file was inactivated.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Employment Services at (904) 209-1565
SJSO EEO Plan
A paper copy of the EEO plan may be obtained at 4015 Lewis Speedway, St. Augustine, FL 32084